Table of Contents
- A Brief History about Florida
- Why Study in Florida?
- Business Opportunities In Florida
- Florida as Home for Entertainment
- Why Study at Florida International University?
- About Florida International University
- Summary of the FIU Scholarship
- Eligibility for Florida International University Scholarship
- How to Apply
- Benefits of Florida International University Scholarship
- Application Deadline
Have you ever thought of the FIU scholarship? Are your academic certificates good? Do you want to be rewarded for it? Florida International University has a scholarship program for a student like you. FIU offers the First-Year merit awards for exceptional students.
Florida International University is a leading public research university, considered as one of the top universities in Miami, United States. FIU commits itself to high-quality teaching, state-of-the-art research and creativity, and collaborative engagement with local and global communities.
Any international student enrolled in FIU with good academic achievement is eligible to apply for the FIU scholarship. You have to be a first-year applicant for this scholarship.
A Brief History about Florida
Florida has been a top choice for international students who desire to further continue their education. Many international students may find it surprising to be studying in Florida at a high-quality institution for a fraction of the cost students pay elsewhere.
In Florida, you will find a diverse selection of state universities, non-profit and for-profit schools. You can attain degrees in aviation, business, journalism, fine arts, law, and many more.
Princeton Review, for instance, ranked the University of North Florida (UNF) as one of the Best Southeastern Colleges and the Best Value College for 2011. Aside from UNF, Florida has five other colleges among the elite schools to make both lists.
Many international students are aware of the many benefits Florida has to offers. Florida is ranked 6th, with the most international students studying at a college or university compared to other states in the US. According to the 2010 Open Doors report, about 30,000 international students are studying in Florida alone.
Why Study in Florida?
The University of Florida has the most international students, at least 4,200 individuals. This is followed by Florida International University, the University of Central Florida, and the University of South Florida, accounting for 8,293 international students altogether, more than one-fourth of the total number of international students in Florida.
Recognized as the 4th most populous state in the United States and proliferating, Florida colleges and universities are supported by a stable, diversified economy. Many subject areas are also tied in with Florida’s economy, including a strong focus on tourism, international trade, and agriculture.
For instance, with more than 600 miles of beaches, world-class attractions, seaports, and a relatively long history for the United States back to 1513, it is not surprising that Florida depends on its tourism industry that brings about 76 million visitors to Florida yearly.
For international students in Florida, this means programs and internships in hospitality, business management, or even culinary services aboard a cruise ship. Colleges in Florida also have access to world-class beaches, amusement parks, a multicultural environment, and an enriching studying experience.
In addition, due to Florida’s geographical location on the Southeastern point of the United States, international trade has become a vital focus of the state, trading about $128 billion worth of merchandise each year. 40% of US exports to Latin America go through the state.
Read Also: Michigan State University Scholarships For International Students in USA 2021-2022
Business Opportunities In Florida
Due to Florida’s ever-increasing focus on international trade, many colleges here have developed programs focusing on different areas, such as international trade, sailing, and international business.
This global environment has also expanded into liberal arts, where international students studying in Florida could access language and humanity classes that offer the educational foundation to be a member of the international community.
Looking at Florida from an international or local perspective, the state is also known as the “Sunshine State”. Why? All that sun has boosted productivity and growth in agriculture over the years. Based on data from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Florida has more than 47,500 commercial farms using 9.25 million acres.
It is regarded as the number one state producing grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, squash, watermelons, sweet corn, and tomatoes. As a student, you will have access to fresh and locally grown food while studying in Florida. Also, this growing agriculture industry has created a demand for institutions to provide high-quality programs concentrating on agriculture, life sciences, horticulture, and forestry.
Florida as Home for Entertainment
Orlando, Florida, has been nicknamed the “Hollywood East”. This is an appropriate nickname since it has two major movie studios located there, which are Universal Studios and Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
Also, Florida is home to popular Television shows (CSI Miami and Dexter) and movies (Adam Sandler’s The Water Boy and Miami Vice). Full Sail University is located here, offering various courses and majors for anyone interested in a career in film or television.
Beyond the classroom, Florida has a social and diverse setting to explore. Many prominent colleges provide the campus experience, like in Jacksonville, Miami, Tallahassee, and Gainesville. The state also has a diverse population. While 19% of the population is foreign-born, 26% speak another language beyond English.
With such international background, as an international student, you will fully understand the meaning of the United States being a melting pot as Florida is home to various people whose origins are from all over the world.
Whether you travel to Key West for the pristine beaches, Orlando for the amusement parks, or St. Augustine for its rich history, Florida has so much to offer you in the way of an overall awe-inspiring experience.
Why Study at Florida International University?
One good thing about Florida International University is that students are genuinely challenged to be the best. The faculty is highly attentive to students, giving each student the individual attention they deserve and need. The high research activity and high social mobility merge at FIU to uplift and accelerate the students’ success. FIU is one of the best universities to be.
About Florida International University
Florida International University is Miami’s first and only public research university. Offering bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, whether on campus or fully online, FIU provides premium service for the academic and local community.
Additionally, as a top-tier research institution, FIU focuses on top research as a significant component of the university’s mission. The Knight Foundation School of Computing and Information Sciences’ Discovery Lab and the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine are actively enhancing the university’s ability to set new standards via research initiatives.
Read Also: Columbia College Scholarships For International Students 2021
For more than four decades, Florida International University has been one of South Florida’s leading institutions. The University focuses on enriching the lives of local and global communities. With a student body of about 54,000, it is among the top 10 largest universities in the nation. It has collectively graduated over 200,000 alumni, 115,000 of whom live and work in South Florida.
Summary of the FIU Scholarship
- University: Florida International University
- Department: Any department
- Course Level: Undergraduate
- Award: Tuition fee and Book stipend
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: International
- However, you can take the award in the United States
Eligibility for Florida International University Scholarship
- Eligible Countries: Students from all nationalities, including African, African American, Hispanic, Indigenous, or Rural and Small Town Recognition, can apply.
- Eligible Course or Subject: It is open to all undergraduate subjects offered by FIU.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, it is expected that you are a newly admitted FIU first-year student.
How to Apply
- As a student of Florida International University, you are expected to apply to the university via the online process and complete the application.
- Once you are accepted, you should apply for the FIU scholarship using the following steps:
- Log into your MyFIU account.
- Click on ‘Student Tools’
- Then on ‘Student E-Forms’
- And on ‘Office of Scholarships;
- Finally, select ‘merit awards Appeal Form.’
- Admission Requirement: You should hold relevant academic certificates with a minimum GPA of 4.0, SAT score of 1280 – 1370, or ACT score of 27- 30.
- Language Requirement: You are required to get the minimum score in any of the English language proficiency tests: TOEFL iBT – 80, TOEFL PBT – 550, or IELTS – 6.5.
- Supporting Documents: You are required to submit certain documents to the university at the time of application, including Financial support, a Letter of intent, a High School transcript, An essay response to a prompt, Two letters of recommendation, Residency documentation, and a Resume.
Read Also: Iowa State University Scholarships For International Students 2021
Benefits of Florida International University Scholarship
- Presidential Premier – For any student with a 4.0 GPA and 1370 SAT / or 30 ACT. The scholarship awards 100% tuition and fees alongside a book stipend.
- Ambassador Premier – For any student with a 4.0 GPA and 1280 SAT or 27 ACT. The scholarship awards 75% tuition and fees alongside a book stipend.
- National Merit – For any student who qualifies for Presidential/Ambassador scholarships and is selected as a finalist. The scholarship awards full tuition, fees, room, and board, up to the cost of attendance as presented by the Office of Student Financials.
- FIU Collegeboard National Recognition Programs – For any student who qualifies for Presidential/Ambassador scholarships and is selected as a finalist. The scholarship awards full tuition, a stipend for books, and a $1000 stipend towards a meal plan each semester.
The deadline has passed, but you can keep following up to get further information for 2022.
I humbly take this chance to request scholarship, have finished Form four but due to poor background I was not able to further my university studies ..can the chance be granted me.may God bless u in advance as you consider my request.