Embedded systems have done a lot of contributions to the advancements in technology existence. Therefore, sufficient embedded software engineers are required to maintain a good balance in technology.
Hence, due to several queries on our site regarding embedded software engineers and their pros and cons. We’ve come up with this great article that exposes most things anyone is required to know about an embedded software engineer
Who Is An Embedded Software Engineer?
Embedded Software Engineer is one who is responsible for developing and implementing software of embedded devices and systems. Also, they are responsible for analyzing and monitoring the efficiency and stability of the system.
An embedded systems engineer understands the entire embedded system. They use this knowledge to integrate the hardware and software in an embedded system. The goal is to ensure the overall system and product work well. With many projects, these engineers also help develop the embedded software.
Skills Required by Embedded Software Engineer
While considering becoming an embedded software engineer, there are some skills you’re required to possess. This is because it is practically impossible to consider yourself a software engineer if you lack the skills below;
- Good programming experience in C or C++
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, and peer review
- Excellent knowledge of OS coding techniques
- Knowledge of different IP protocols, interfaces and hardware subsystems
- Microcontrollers, or MCUs
- Linux operating system
- Software optimizations skills at the System on a Chip (SoC) level
- Device drivers
- Understanding of design patterns and embedded system design patterns
- Debugging skills
- Ability to work with existing codebases
- Interrupt-driven design
- Assembly programming language
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
How Much Does An Embedded Software Engineer Earn?
Have you been so interested in knowing an embedded software engineer salary range? Then we’ve got the answer here.
From researches and data gotten from ZipRecruiter, embedded software engineer earns a very huge some on any working ground. They earn up to $164,000 per year. Meanwhile, on an average scale, the embedded software engineer salary scale falls between $59,500 and $164,000 per year.
Job Outlooks For An Embedded Software Engineer
This is a very lucrative career path that has a wide range of applications. Even to think of it, the skill of an embedded system engineer is in high demand. Therefore they are great opportunities for jobs to explore as an embedded system engineer.
READ ALSO: Computer Hardware Engineer Salary 2021.
How To Become An Embedded Software Engineer
Becoming an embedded software engineer is not an easy one. It will require years of practice and experience to be a professional in this career path. Meanwhile, follow the process below to successfully become an embedded software engineer;
#1. Pursue a Computer Science Degree At a College Or University
Obtaining a degree in computer science is the first step to becoming an embedded software engineer. You’d ensure you meet all the admission requirement of your desired institution.
Also, try doing many practices while undergoing your degree program to help solidify your ground in coding.
#2. Attend a Coding Bootcamp Specializing In Software Engineering
Now it is time to attend a coding Bootcamp. In this kind of programs, you’d get to network with different peoples that shares similar goals with you. Thus, you’d also gain stronger practical experience.
#3. Learn Software Engineering Through Self-study
Practice makes perfect they say. Also, there is nothing that ever makes one so good without constant practice and discipline in any field of study. Therefore, this is also required in becoming an embedded system engineer. You’d need to discover yourself as a software engineer through self-study.
Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions
It is the leading edge in an interview ground where there are many applicants to know what to expect. Many people fail their interviews due to the little information available to them.
Hence, some possible questions to expect in an interview will help you structure your mind to how to give a quick and good response that will make you outstanding. Therefore, below we’ve provided some possible questions that embedded software engineers will possibly encounter in an interview;
- Can you define the components of an embedded system?
- When would an embedded system need an infinite loop?
- What are the different types of embedded systems and which do you have the most experience with?
- In your opinion, why use an embedded system over other available options?
- What types of errors do embedded systems encounter? Do you have any examples from your previous software engineering experiences?
- What is a semaphore and when would you use one?
- How do you classify I/O devices in embedded systems?
- Can you differentiate between the functions of semaphores and mutexes?
- Do you know what buses are? If so, can you explain each and their purpose in embedded systems?
- Can you define interrupt latency? How do you reduce it and why?
Good Schools To obtain a Degree in Embedded System
There are several institutions across the globe one can obtain a good degree in embedded systems. Although we’ve only selected among all good institutions you may resort to while looking for where to obtain a degree. See them below;
- University of Pennsylvania
- Stanford University
- University of Florida
- Cornell University
- Iowa State University
- Boston University
- The University of Tennessee
- Howard University
- University of Arizona
- Louisiana Tech University
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers On How To Become Embedded Software Engineer
What are the skills required for an embedded engineer?
Here are some essential skills embedded software engineers require or areas where they should have expertise:
C and C++ programming.
Microcontrollers, or MCUs.
Linux operating system.
Software optimizations skills at the System on a Chip (SoC) level.
Real-time Operating Systems (RTOS)
How do I prepare for an embedded interview?
Make sure to dedicate at least 2 hours a day for interview prep, not including applying for jobs and reaching out to recruiters. While practicing on LeetCode, comment on your code. Explain your algorithm and the runtime complexities. Every day before you begin coding, review the problems you worked on the previous day.
How do I become a professional embedded software engineer?
Like the systems they manage, embedded systems engineer requires experience with both hardware and software. The core skill set of an embedded systems engineer looks something like this: Programming languages such as C, C++, and Assembly Language are the most common requirements for this position.
How can I improve my embedded skills?
1 – Start Measuring Key Metrics and Drivers. …
2 – Start having Code Reviews. …
3 – Master Debugging Skills. …
4 – Start Automating Testing. …
5 – Separate Software Concerns.
What is an embedded job description?
Embedded software engineer jobs include designing and implementing software of embedded devices and systems, review and design code, integrate and validate new product designs, and develop system software from design through debugging. Proven work experience in software engineering required.
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) | Degree Requirements And Best Schools For Study
- How To Become An IT Technician | What They Do, Salary, Required Skill And More
- 6 Best Post Baccalaureate Computer Science Online Programs | Admission Requirements And Best Online Schools
- What Can I Do With A Degree In Computer Design? Type of Degree Obtainable and Salary.
- How to Become a Laser Technician | What They Do, Salary, Certification, Required Skills & More.
- How to Become a Master Barber | Education Requirement and Career Roadmap.
- Nail Technician Schools and Colleges in the U.S. | Top 9 Best.
- Computer Hardware Engineer Salary 2021.
- How to Become an Ultrasonographer | What They Do, Salary, Schools and Certifications.
- How to Become a Dermatologist in California, 2021.
- Network Security Jobs | How To Start A Career In Network Security.
- IT Certification Roadmap | A Complete Step-By-Step Guide.